Gary the Bookworm's Reviews > Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

Mar 05, 12

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
This is an essential book for anyone who cares about the plight of slum dwellers around the world. Ms Boo has written a powerful, unforgettable description of a slum in Mumbai which is teetering on the brink of annihilation. The residents eke out a miserable day-to-day existence grateful that they haven't yet joined the multitude of pavement dwellers whose lives are even more abject. The reader would like to imagine that she made this up. The fact that it depicts the underbelly of the economic miracle which is supposed to be modern India is devastating to contemplate. That most of these brave souls resist the lure of suicide is a testament to a life force that few of us can imagine.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Beautiful Forevers.

Suzanne We believed in the turn around inImdia because we wanted to believe.

Suzanne I paid a bribe is a website, probably started in Mumbai.

Katherine Hi Gary, I have just recieved my copy of this book,cant wait to read it & I am going to suggest for my book club on Thursday night. just started The Master by Colm Toibin.

Gary  the Bookworm I'm anxious to read The Master. I've liked his other stuff (especially Brooklyn) I hope you like this. It's hard to believe that it's not fiction.

message 5: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King Gary,

Your concise review has convinced me to read this book.

This is the sentence that convinced me:

"The residents eke out a miserable day-to-day existence grateful that they haven't yet joined the multitude of pavement dwellers whose lives are even more abject."

Sounds dreadful doesn't it?

Gary  the Bookworm Lynne wrote: "Gary,

Your concise review has convinced me to read this book.

This is the sentence that convinced me:

Thank you, Lynne. Actually, it's surprisingly upbeat given their deplorable living conditions. If you want a real downer check this out: A Fine Balance It's fiction but oh so powerful.

message 7: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King Thanks for that Gary, I'll check it out.

message 8: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne King Thanks for that Gary, I'll check it out.