Traci (The Reading Geek)'s Reviews > Being Friends with Boys

Being Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoy

May 31, 12

bookshelves: ya-contemporary-challenge
Read in May, 2012

Terra Elan McVoy's Being Friends With Boys is the story of Charlotte who has been friends with Oliver for years. She is happy with being a part of his band with Abe and Trip as manager and writer. However things get complicated when there is a new guy.

I loved Being Friends With Boys and finished this book in one sitting. I was really excited when I first heard about this book because it sounded just like a contemporary that I would love and it definitely turned out to be just that. Charlotte was a character I could easily relate to. She is friends with a lot boys and she is also the responsible one. Charlotte tries to take care of everything for everyone. She is also recently adjusting to living with a new stepmother and stepsisters while her sister goes away to college. I found that I really related to Charlotte because growing up most of my friends were guys as well. Ever since middle school, my best friend has been a guy and I just found hanging out with guys to involve a lot less drama. However, in this book there is quite a lot of drama.

There were so many great side characters in this book as well that just made me love this story even more. Oliver has been friends with Charlotte for years and their relationship can get complicated at times but they need each other. Then there is Trip who I absolutely loved and I loved his friendship with Charlotte. There were several other characters I really enjoyed as well such as Benji, Darby, and Gretchen.

Being Friends With Boys is just my kind of contemporary story because it involved realistic and strongly developed characters who aren't perfect. It was easy to finish this book in one sitting because I was immediately drawn into the story. The plot is filled drama but there are also some hilarious and unexpected moments. There is more than just romance and friendship to this story but some family issues as well. I definitely didn't want this book to end because I wasn't ready to say goodbye to these characters just yet. Overall, I loved Being Friends With Boys and highly recommend it.

Review originally posted on www.thereadinggeek.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Friends with Boys.