Michelle's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: action-adventure, fantasy, paranormal, post-apocalyptic, young-adult, self-published, survival, angels
Read on March 05, 2012

I purchased Angelfall in one of my mass 99-cents-or-less purchases I occasionally do, then promptly forgot about it amongst all the books that had to be reviewed now. After the 5-star-review deluge of biblical proportions swept across Goodreads, I looked it up only to find that - oh - I already owned it! Score! Now, though, I am finding myself at a loss for words when trying to write the review.

I will start with the fact that Angelfall kicks the snot out of nearly every other self-published novel I have ever read. It was so well done, in fact, that I am inclined to judge Susan Ee as I would a traditionally published author - not particularly fair, but there you have it. Angelfall is also the best angel book I have read in a really, really long time. She not only holds her own in the genre, she kicks the snot out of that competition as well. However, after finishing it I was left with the feeling: "yeah, it was good, but..." I couldn't help but feel that a bit of the 5 star fervor came from the author's self-pub status and not the book itself. Don't get me wrong, it is a good book; just not, perhaps, an unanimously 5-star book.

Penryn was wonderful. She was smart, strong, and just as apt to save others as to save herself. She had her priorities, and they were good priorities, and she did what was needed to stay true to those priorities. Penryn's mother scared the crap out of me - and I loved it. I will read the next books if only to find out what happens with her and the...little surprise...we get at the end.

I like that Ee's angels don't completely fly in the face of religious convention (intentional pun), but (agreeing with Sean here) they felt a bit out of context within Ee's world; there was a dearth of any religious reference or framework.

I like that there isn't any InstaLove. I also like that Penryn doesn't loose sight of her goals after she starts being attracted to Raffe.

Basically, I find that it was a pretty good book - I just don't really have a lot to say about it. I will probably read the next one and would recommend it if asked.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Yay! I'm glad you liked it. :)