Kate's Reviews > Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems

Cesar's Way by Cesar Millan

Feb 26, 14

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in August, 2008

Cesar's way is not about dog training. It's about a way of living. I can see how it might not be for everyone, but it's certainly for me. He has taught me that living with and domesticating other species should involve honoring who those beings are. Having a dog isn't just about fulfilling our needs; we must fufill theirs as well.

I know he rubs some people the wrong way. I think that's because we grow up believing that dogs are all love and cuteness, in the face of the fact that they end up running our lives or making our lives more hectic and crazy because we've made them unstable. Yes, WE'VE made them unstable.

Cesar has taught me so much about myself. I used to get frustrated with my dogs when they'd excitedly crowd me, for instance, as I was putting on my running shoes or preparing their food. I didn't realize if I was a balanced, calm pack leader, I could make the boundaries clear--and we'd both be more calm and happy.

My dogs are different beings since I started internalizing Cesar's techniques after watching his shows, reinforced with this book. I'm a different being too. Definitely calmer and more centered. More in the moment. Thank you, Cesar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cesar's Way.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connie (new)

Connie As a result of Cesar Millan (yes, Cesar Millan personally handling dogs), several dogs have been seriously injured, killed and/or traumatized. He is actually more of a monster than Michael Vick because Millan TEACHES OTHER PEOPLE how to abuse their own dogs. "Spare the rod, spoil the child" doesn't produce healthy children, and it doesn't produce healthy dogs.

message 2: by Lois (new) - added it

Lois Tucker Temple Grandin, *the* foremost animal husbandry person in the world, called his techniques wrong and potentially dangerous, as have the American Humane Assoc. Ian Dunbar or Temple Grandin are the people to read. Also, read Michele's 2009 review above. It's accurate.

Alicia I love your review. exactly how I feel.