Amanda Allen's Reviews > The Vanishing of Katharina Linden

The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant

Mar 06, 2012

Read from March 03 to 05, 2012

Ohhhhh, I loved this book. Devoured it, actually. It was such a charming surprise, because the story wasn't at all what I expected.

Pia is a ten-year-old living in a small town in Germany (loved all the interesting references to German culture), whose grandmother, at the start of the novel, has died in a horrific accident. Typical of elementary school meanness, she becomes the classroom pariah because of the unusual and terrible circumstances surrounding her grandmother's death. Around the same time, a little girl from Pia's school is kidnapped. Pia becomes smitten with the idea of solving the kidnapping and becoming the hero of the town (and getting everyone to forget her grandmother's demise). When other girls start disappearing, her sleuthing gets much more dangerous.

It really is a bit of a horror story - the last 30 pages or so are deliciously creepy. I've already got Grant's next book on my must-read-soon list. And if I had the money, I'd be booking a flight to Germany.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing of Katharina Linden.