Cherylann's Reviews > The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri: Purgatorio

The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri by Dante Alighieri

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: medieval-literature
Read from March 05 to 27, 2012

Even as a good-little-Catholic-girl I have always had trouble with the concept of Purgatory. I couldn't understand why a so-called merciful God would want to punish those whom he actually loved. That was before I read Purgatorio.

The first word that used to come to my mind when pondering Purgatory (as I do so often of course) was suffering. Now, the words are love and hope. Purgatory is not a place of suffering, but a transformation of sin, a purifying of misdirected or perverted love. Ultimately all those in Purgatory will be saved. There is an end to punishment unlike in hell. That hope makes Purgatory less of a dismal and dreadful place. It is probably one of the places most entrenched in God's love.

Of course when I read Inferno in high school I was fascinated by the elusive Beatrice. Well, in Purgatorio she makes her long awaited debut. Her role is rather surprising. As a woman, it is surprising that her role in Dante's transformation is almost priest-like. She has Dante confess his sins to her: the sacrament of reconciliation. Another woman baptizes Dante in the river Lethe. This role of women is clearly linked to the worship of Mary in Dante's time, but I nonetheless found these powerful religious women refreshing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri.

03/10/2012 page 59