Ben Jackson's Reviews > Slowness

Slowness by Milan Kundera

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: top-shelf

This may be my favorite book, and that is saying something - I read a *lot.*

Milan Kundera has an ability - possibly more than any other living writer - to amaze me with a turn of a few words. I'll often find myself laughing out loud when reading him, not because his somethign funny happened in the book, but because his language went somewhere so wonderfully unexpected.

Slowness is the first book that Kunder wrote in French (as opposed to his native Czech), and there are some variations in his writing as a result. His words are lighter, the stories less dense, the themes more accessible. It is his shortest complete work (or, at least it was when it was published - I am not positive that this is still the case), ironically the fastest read.

Here is Kundera at his "dirty-old-man" best, delving into the sexual psyches of his characters, driving them through their lives, from bedroom encounter to bedroom encounter, with the interstitial bits delighting the reader the entire way.

I found myself halfway through the book, mindful of slowing down, fearing the final turn of the page. So, so very good.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slowness.