Beth Dawkins's Reviews > Curses! A F**ked Up Fairytale

Curses! A F**ked Up Fairytale by J.A. Kazimer

Jul 08, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from March 05 to 08, 2012

RJ comes home to find a not-so-ugly-stepsister sitting in his chair, munching on his food. She has mistaken RJ for someone else, and asks him to help her uncover who killed Cinderella. RJ has no choice but to help. He is a villain, but the union took his card, and he cannot do anything villainous, but he isn’t the only one with a curse. He goes with Asia, the not-so-ugly-princess to her father’s kingdom, and to find out who killed Cinderella.

As the title suggests this is a comedy told in the eyes of RJ, a famous villain. This is a very different twist to the Cinderella story, much like when the big bad wolf claimed he was framed. Despite the fact it is packed with mentions of almost every fairy tale, and even some nursery rhymes this is a book for adults.

‘I watched in amazement as the interloper dove into my curry noodles with the gusto of Goldilocks during a bout of bulimia’

RJ starts out not really wanting to help, but because of his curse, he has no say in the matter. He is one sarcastic narrator who sees the majority of people around him as potential agonist. He soon finds himself getting caught in the cross fire with what is going on in Asia’s kingdom, and getting beat up on most of the time. He soon finds himself falling for Asia, but she may want to kill him. He goes back and forth on the topic throughout the story.

Curses! doesn’t take itself seriously, and is packed full of snarky fairy tale humor. There is a lot for RJ to uncover, and he doesn’t do a great job uncovering anything really. Reading through most of it, if asked if he is making any progress in the case at all, I might have shrugged, and said, ‘The case and characters haven’t made much logical sense.’ This fact didn’t take me from the story because the humor is funny, and I kept looking forward to seeing different fairy tale people showing up. RJ isn’t an investigator after all, but a villain, and him getting stuck with the likes of Prince Charming (who is more in love with himself than anyone else) is just hilarious. Some of the situations, and abuse RJ takes makes this reader wonder how he survived. That is one of my only complaints. Considering how much damage he took he would be in dead or in the hospital, but he just keeps on trucking it. I started to wonder if he was secretly a member of the Loony Toons.

This is a novel for fairy tale lovers who want a twist. It isn’t a retelling, but jokes around with the Cinderella story. It is above all else a very fun read, and very different. There are a few steamy scenes between Asia and RJ. The romantic subplot fit well with the story, and never took away from the story, but added to it. RJ blundered through the story trying his best to make heads or tails of anything. All-in-all if you enjoy fairy tales, and want some light comedic reading, this one is for you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curses! A F**ked Up Fairytale.

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Parsons I'm intrigued.

Beth Dawkins Reminds me of that children's book about the big bad wolf, and how he was framed, but for adults. I need to type up the review! ^_^

message 3: by Gary (new) - added it

Gary If you still have it, I may want to borrow it from you, but probably much closer to or even after October. :)