Gennie Gee's Reviews > Whistle Pass

Whistle Pass by KevaD

Mar 14, 12

Read from March 12 to 14, 2012

4.5 Stars

The book Whistle Pass by KevaD got me to thinking and pondering recent history. Whistle Pass is set in 1955 and seems to be very true to the time period according to my knowledge of the GLBT civil rights movement. There are no sex scenes in this book, so if that is the reason you read M/M books, than this might not be for you. However, KevaD weaves together a beautiful story about lost love and new love with a good deal of intrigue and realism.

The mystery part of this story kept me guessing until the very end and it pulled the story along nicely. Charlie is the first main character we meet. He believes he has been “summoned” to the town of Whistle Pass by the ex-love of his life that he saved during WWII. When he arrives to town in the middle of the night, Charlie checks into the local hotel. As he is ascending the stairs to his room, Charlie is attacked and basically his welcome to Whistle Pass degrades from there. The only bright spot in his visit is laying eyes on the handsome manager of the hotel, Gabe. Gabe is also a veteran, but of the Korean War and therefore a few years younger than Charlie but Gabe still has scars of his own. There is instant attraction on both Charlie and Gabe’s part, but with the social climate of the 1950’s they have to be VERY careful.

The author has us root for Charlie and Gabe the whole time, even though at times I wanted to yell at the characters to communicate! KevaD has developed a great cast of characters and I cared about each and every one, and I especially wanted the “bad” guys to go down. Even though we only get a few hot kisses between our main characters, the passion is there. In my opinion, I’d love to see a sequel once Charlie and Gabe are settled and able to love each other in all ways.

The era of this historical fiction book still has me thinking. While I love historical books, I have very rarely read one that was only a few decades before my birth. I know about Stonewall, Harvey Milk and all the other major stops in GLBT history, but reading a book set just before that time really puts into perspective the major progress that has been made. If you read this book, do so knowing that it is a beautiful tale of love and friendship in a time where feelings often couldn’t be shown not just in public, but even behind closed doors. KevaD is definitely another author that will be going into my must read more his books pile!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whistle Pass.