Marykcecil's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Mar 24, 12

Read in March, 2011

This is a wonderful Science Fiction Young Adult Novel. This book is a great read. The story is engaging, exciting, and essentially not too difficult of a read. I enjoyed every minute of this book and turned each page with anticipation. I've found both good and not so good things about the text, but overall, I was captivated by the story line and the suspenseful writing.

As a reader, I was captivated by this book. The story line was interesting to me. Although many criticize the text because children are being taught and trained to be soldiers at such young ages, I believe it is only a part of the atmosphere of the story in the text. During a brutal war between an alien race, it would be plausible for this unfortunate need to come to be. The text was entertaining throughout and even more so at the twist at the end. This text creates a realistic science fiction setting and conflict, and we watch as Ender attempts to lead Earth to victory in an intergalactic war.

As a teacher, this text presents a couple opportunities for discussion. The text definitely discusses war and leadership, but right and wrong and the loss of innocence. Ender exemplifies admirable leadership and battle skills and moves higher in the training arena until a lack of information causes Ender to lose his child-like innocence. This text would present great discussions on war, right vs wrong, as well as a combination of the two.

Overall, I loved this novel. One day, I wish to finish the series.

Mary & Michelle
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.