Juli's Reviews > The Rope

The Rope by Nevada Barr

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read from March 05 to 11, 2012, read count: 1

When I first started reading this book, I was quite disappointed as I hadn't realised it was a prequel. I knew it had been recently released, because I pre-ordered it, so it being a prequel was surprising & irritating because I wanted the story of Anna to continue from where we were left with the last novel.

After two chapters, thought, I realised that this was a fantastic book & Nevada Barr's best writing to date. She did an excellent job of concealing who the "Bad Guy" was & had me on my toes for much of the read.

I did guess who was causing all the trouble for Anna. However, it was more luck and the reading of one of the previous reviews that got me to the point where, at 1/3 complete, I could say that I was pretty sure who it was. I wasn't even 100% sure until the actual reveal took place as I was convinced that it was a bait & switch.

One thing that I particularly enjoyed was that it was less about Anna losing her husband and more about Anna coming to the conclusion that a Law Enforcement Ranger was what she wanted to do & how she became empowered to move on with the next phase her life with out her husband.

If your a Nevada Barr fan, you'll like this book. She hasn't changed her writing technique or completely gone off the beaten track with how she does her character progression. So don't let the fact that it's a prequel detract from your enjoyment; if anything, I found that the prequel bit only had any significance on the very beginning and the very end of the story line.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rope.

30.0% "I think I've determined who the bad guy is and now I'm just waiting to see if I'm correct."