Kat's Reviews > Until the Next Time

Apr 18, 12

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, 2012, historical-fiction
Read from March 20 to April 17, 2012

I won this book through the GoodReads First Reads giveaways!

Basic Plot: Sean Corrigan goes to Ireland to find out what happened to the uncle he never knew he had, and learn an important truth about himself.

This book had me on a roller coaster. I nearly quit reading it somewhere around the middle because I was getting frustrated by the sheer stupid density of so many of the characters. I think what happened is that the author was going for suspense, and let it go on just a bit too long. The last 50-100 pages were a very fast read, and I really liked the ending. I should have seen the final scene coming far earlier than I did, but somehow didn't, and I enjoyed it.

I found myself wishing I knew more about the history of the IRA and the conflict in Ireland over the Catholics vs. Protestants. I know basics (they hate each other) but had no other real reference point from there. The Irish culture included in the pages rang truly, but I'm not from a distinctly Irish family, so again I had no point of reference. What I did like was the points the book had to make about "reading between the lines" and how many things said aren't meant to be taken literally, but as metaphors for deeper truths. The philosophies spread by the female characters in particular are very in synch with a lot of my own personal beliefs.

It's a bit preachy at times, but it's preaching to the choir in my case. It's the author's first novel, so he gets a partial pass on the pacing problems and the fact that his male characters are far stupider than they need to be. It's a decent read once you get past the slow middle section, and in the end it was a nice break from my usual fare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Until the Next Time.

03/26/2012 page 41
10.0% "Interesting book so far. Not my usual line of reading, but I'm intrigued."
03/27/2012 page 70
18.0% "Not sure if I'm actually supposed to have figured out what's going on or not. If I have, bravo. If not, then the "twist" won't be shocking, I promise."
04/01/2012 page 228
57.0% "I think this book is developing a pacing problem. In the beginning, I could forgive a little slowness as a result of exposition, but 200 pages in, we need to have the main character getting the clue-by-fours he's being clobbered with and something needs to *happen*."
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by Meg ♥ (new)

Meg ♥ Nice I just won a giveaway today too! Hope you enjoy yours! :-)