Hugh Carson's Reviews > The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan

The Operators by Michael Hastings

Mar 05, 12

The Rolling Stone Article that brought Gen. McChrystal down is only 10% of the story of the rapid reversal of the military/civilian relationship in this country. Hastings has been both reviled and praised for both the article and the book. Much of the criticism comes from mainstream journalists who have their own cozy (read flat-assed unethical) relationships with their sources (not least of whom is Bob Woodward).

Afghanistan is rapidly deteriorating much like Vietnam did . . . with the most authentic red flag being raised by the boots on the ground folks rejecting the bulls__t coming out of command HQ, with its restrictive, convoluted rules of engagement (ROE) that are getting their brothers and sisters killed. COIN is bulls**t, as brought out in "The Wrong War" by USMC Gen Bing West's excellent analysis of the delusionary thinking of Petraeus and McChrystal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Operators.

Quotes Hugh Liked

Michael Hastings
“Janet Malcolm had famously described journalism as the art of seduction and betrayal. Any reporter who didn't see journalism as "morally indefensible" was either "too stupid" or "too full of himself," she wrote. I disagreed. Without shutting the door on the possibility that I was both stupid and full of myself, I'd never bought into the seduction and betrayal conceit. At most, journalism - particularly when writing about media-hungry public figures - was like the seduction of a prostitute. The relationship was transactional. They weren't talking to me because they liked me or because I impressed them; they were talking to me because they wanted the cover of Rolling Stone.”
Michael Hastings, The Operators: The Wild and Terrifying Inside Story of America's War in Afghanistan