Joy H.'s Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Added 3/5/12. (Read by Kathe Mazur)
-----------------------------------
AUGUST 2012 - I've begun listening to the audio-book. Below are the comments I've made so far about this book at my group:
-----------------------------------
9/3/12 : So far I haven't gotten past the first audio disk. So I shouldn't make any judgments yet. However, I haven't come across any ideas that I wasn't familiar with already. It seems to be a lot of common sense about introverts and extroverts. I'm finding it very dry so far.
-----------------------------------
9/14/12 ( now listening to disk #2): So far the author is giving some interesting details and facts which, to me, can me summed up as: "Nice guys finish last".

This fact can be very disturbing because some very good ideas are sometimes discounted while some very rotten ideas are accepted, due to the fact that the extroverts drown out the introverts. It's upsetting to think about because I've observed this all my life and it seems there's not much that can be done about it.

I hope that the CD will offer solutions as I listen further.
-----------------------------------
OCTOBER 2012 - I wasn't able to finish listening to this book because of time restraints. Some day I hope to go back to it.
-----------------------------------

The author supports her arguments with many interesting statistics and facts.

BELOW IS A SUMMARY FROM OUR LOCAL LIBRARY'S ONLINE CATALOG:
=================================
Summary: "At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society--from van Gogh's sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

"Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so.

"Taking the reader on a journey from Dale Carnegie's birthplace to Harvard Business School, from a Tony Robbins seminar to an evangelical megachurch, Susan Cain charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects.

"She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked."

"And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the surprising differences between extroverts and introverts.

"Perhaps most inspiring, she introduces us to successful introverts--from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions.

"Finally, she offers invaluable advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a 'pretend extrovert.'

This extraordinary book has the power to permanently change how we see introverts and, equally important, how introverts see themselves."
--from publisher's web site.
=================================

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.