Brianna Kilcrease's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Meg Cabot

May 08, 12

bookshelves: arcs
Read from May 06 to 07, 2012

First Line: "Pierce keeps having the most terrible nightmares." My mom used to say this to all the doctors we saw right after the accident. "She talks in her sleep -- sorry, sweetheart, but you do -- about a boy following her. Sometimes she even wakes up crying. It doesn't seem normal. I've never had dreams that vivid."

Cabot is a genius! In Abandon she took Persephone's myth by the reins. In Underworld, she makes the myth jump through hoops and contorts it into her own style. She is an immortal in the Young Adult genre, writing through the night about witches, furies, and the basis of true love.

I give several thanks to Meg and Point Publishing for sending me this ARC in the mail about a month or so ago. It was the second ARC I've ever received, and it was such an amazing experience! I didn't have the time to read it when I first got it, but I made sure to finish it so I could do my first release day review.

I picked Underworld up on May 6th and continued to follow Pierce's adventure. It has been around three or four months since I read Abandon and I was a little forgetful on some of the details of it. But after around twenty or thirty pages I got back into the story fine. We left off in Abandon when Pierce is taken back into the underworld by John to save her from her grandmother. Underworld begins with the next morning when she awakes, and you get to see exactly how she feels.

If I was taken by a (gorgeous) guy to the underworld where he basically kept me prisoner, I think I'd be pretty okay with it. But that's just me. Underworld introduces some new characters that I absolutely love. Each chapter had a funny part that made me giggle. And at the beginning of each, there is a verse from Dante's Inferno.

I feel that this book develops the story alot more than Abandon did. John and Pierce grew up so much and their love for each other grew and grew each page. I finished this book in under a day and could not put it down. If you've read Abandon, read this, it's even better. And after that, be sure to watch for Awaken, the third book in the series, coming out in 2013.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.

05/06/2012 page 12