Kressel Housman's Reviews > The Pleasure of My Company

The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin

Jul 31, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in July, 2007

In doing research on OCD, this book came up as a fictional account, and to my surprise, it was written by comedian and director Steve Martin. I didn't know he'd branched out into novel writing, so that was intriguing in itself. The book isn't laugh-out-loud funny, but sufferers of OCD alternate between absurd and pathetic, which is pretty much the feel of this book. You can't help but sympathize with the protagonist because he's a nice guy, but some of his obsessions and compulsions are funny. And lest you think I'm being insensitive, I discovered through my research that getting obsessive-compulsives to laugh at their absurdities is an effective cure.

A brief word about the cleanliness of this book: I'd rate it a PG. No bedroom scenes because the protagonist is a little too afraid for that, but he does have desires and he notices women's figures. Steven Martin's first novel on the other hand (yes, this one's his second) called Shop Girl opens up with a scene so un-tzniusdig that I gave it up after a few pages.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pleasure of My Company.