Sylvia 's Reviews > Birthmarked

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: all-time-favourites, if-there-were-ten-stars-i-d-give-it
Read on March 01, 2012 — I own a copy

I absolutely loved this book right from the first page. The author doesn´t waste time explaining this and that and jumps right into the action. I feared, hoped, laughed and cried for and with Gaia, our heroine, throughout the whole book, it was as simple as breathing to totally connect with her. Caragh O´Brien draws a terrifying picture of the future world that - in my opinion- is not so far off what could become reality sooner or (hopefully) later and that made the story even more real for me.

In "Birthmarked" there´s a two-class society, where the rich are protected, surrounded by the walls of a city where everything seems like it used to be and better. Outside the walls there´s Gaia´s home, and here it´s a daily struggle for survival like for food and the basic supplies and families are constantly watched by the cities authorities. And as if that´s not enough every month 3 newborns have to be passed on to the city because there, due to a lack of divergent genes, genetically genereted sicknesses are spreading. Gaia´s a young midwife and first absolutely obeys to what is requested of her, but soon enough finds out about all that´s totally wrong and literally has to find her own way out of all the mess.

There´s barely been a love story in my YA books that was so authentic like this one. I mean, when you get to know Leon you know he´s the one, but everything developes slowly, awkwardly and exactly that made it feel so right. I loved it!

I totally recommend this book to everyone, no matter if you´re a YA or dystopian lover or both. This book is easy to read, fast paced, thrilling from the first page to the very last and creates a world in your mind you would not believe. Caragh O´Brien´s a genius and absolutely has my awe!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birthmarked.