Beth's Reviews > Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth

Pearl Buck in China by Hilary Spurling

May 09, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I'll admit right up front I did not finish the book. (An unfortunate trend for me right now. I don't think I have finished the last 3 books I started reading.)

I started reading this book for a book group I am in and I really enjoyed the first parts of it which described her childhood in China. I have lived in Taiwan for 2 years and have been to China a couple times so that part was wonderful for me. I found her family life as a child fascinating. I loved how the history of China during that time is revealed as a personal, first-hand account of what it was like "on the streets" during those times. I was fascinated by her family as a missionary family and particularly by her father and the role his religion and his family played in his life. The relationship she had with her mother and siblings was insightful. Everything about her young life I enjoyed.

But once the book moved into her adult life, once she got married and started her own life living in China as a missionary's wife, my attention dropped off. I'm not sure why exactly. It was still being told in a very insightful, "in-her-head" method but I just slowly stopped reading and trailed off, not finishing it. Although later, when discussing the book with my book group, I did think to myself I would like to finish it because, as the others in the group told it, her adult life did have some interesting aspects to it. But I never did. Oh well. I read The Good Earth when I was 16 spending a summer in Finland and loved it. Maybe sometime in the future I will finish this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pearl Buck in China.