Laurel's Reviews > Dancing Shoes

F 50x66
Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: family-read-aloud
Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I was watching You've Got Mail one night and Meg Ryan's character was talking about how great the "shoe" books were. It seemed like a wonderful series of books for little girls. So, I picked one up at my local library intending to read it with my daughter. I was very disappointed! Firstly, it did not hold my daughter's attention. This is a little girl who has been read aloud to since she was a baby from novels. She enjoys Little Britches, and Jane Eyre, but this book was boring to her. Secondly, it was a little ridiculous, people die left and right in this book so that both little girls end up orphans. Mrs. Wintle is a strange character, who seems to start out nice and then ends up being just a horrible human being. The Uncle is a terrible father to his own daughter, but wonderful to his nieces. Hilary is lazy and silly, and the idea is that that's OK, some people are lazy and silly and those people can grow up to be mothers. As if laziness is the number one requirement in motherhood. Fame and stardom is the aim of every little girl in the book. Even, the hero that we are supposed to admire so much does actually want the same thing as everyone else. Also, she is ridiculous in her trying so hard to run Hilary's life. The characters are all pretty unrealistic. I will not be reading the other "shoe" books and I won't trust Meg Ryan movies for anymore recommendations!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing Shoes.