Silver's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: cultural, surrealism-alternative-realities
Read from March 04 to 31, 2012

I have to say that I felt a bit disappointed in this book. I was on the fence about weather or not I wanted to read it, but there were some aspects which intrigued me about it, and I saw it was considered Magic Realism which I generally quite enjoy.

But reading the story I felt that it was a bit mediocre. The magical part of it did not go quite far enough, and came off as being very muted, and the story itself was not strong enough on its own accord. I feel as if in a way the book did not push the envelop far enough, and that nether the realistic elements of the story nor more fantastical parts were strong enough. It felt like the author did not really fully commit to the story but held back.

I enjoyed the parts of the story which dealt with the Tiger and the Tiger's wife the most, and I loved the character of Darisa. In a way I feel as if the book would have been stronger if it focused more upon telling the story of the village where her grandfather grew up, instead of revealing it through flashbacks.

Part of the problem I have is that I feel as if the narrator did not really do anything for the story. Her own little story didn't seem to go anywhere and it seemed that her purpose was only to tell her grandfather's story. Though parts about the Deathless man were interesting.

I had trouble with the narrative voice, as at times it seemed a bit awkward, and the way the flashbacks were presented it was difficult to keep track as to what events were happening when.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.