Deborah Harkness's Reviews > The Rook

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

Mar 04, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Loved this! A bit of Jasper Fforde, a bit of X-Files, and a lot of droll action and tongue-in-cheek dialogue as we follow the heroine, Myfanwy Thomas, through her adventures. Thoroughly enjoyable, and highly recommended.
33 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rook.

message 1: by Crossfinn (new) - added it

Crossfinn It's going right on my list--thanks!

message 2: by PM (new)

PM Got it coming!

Cristie Thank you for the review! I just added it to my list. Maybe it will keep me satisfied until "Shadow of Night" comes out this summer...which is far too long I have to add!

Lisa This is in my to be read pile, thanks for the review! I think I will move it up a few places. :)

Krista I completely agree! And what's strange is I read your book (and loved it!) and The Rook was the very next book I read! And now you are reviewing it! Lol

MaryNell Because I love your writing, Deborah, I will take your recommendation and read The Rook the next chance I get. Thanks!

Natalia Thanks for the recommendation, I finished it last month and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Floe (Fernie_J) Wish it's available in the UK. Just went to Waterstones but they do not have it. Kindle do not have it too. :(

Laurissa I am loving this book. Only a few pages left and am sad that it will be done. I really enjoyed the humor and the story.

message 10: by Saima (new) - rated it 1 star

Saima I read it because my favorite write read it. In the beginning it was really interesting but as I go on the authors description about the the cheque society oh my goodness it's so long like I'm gonna recruited. It becomes extremely boring I felt like the author lost her grip on the plot. I skipped last 400 pages and than read the end. I felt wasted my days on a bad book. Sorry to the author but I don't enjoy it at all. Just in the start was interesting z

Brittany Dean I started reading this book a couple days ago...and one of my first thoughts was, I wonder if Debs has read this yet...I bet she'd like it! ;)

message 12: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly One of my co-workers recommended this book as well, so it definitely makes the "to-read" list. I've also been curious about Jasper Fforde, whom I've only heard of recently. So much to read, so little time....

Holly Sounds amazing! I've put it on my to-read list.

BooksSaveMe Adore your beautiful books so will gladly take your recommendations. Thanks!

message 15: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie always nice to see what my favorite authors are enjoying, thanks I'll add it to my to-read list. BTW love your books, thanks

message 16: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda C I went to college with someone whose name actually was Myfanwy Thomas, although I think I remember that the spelling was more Gaelic. Lots of extra vowels, as I recall. But I've never forgotten her name because it was so unusual.