Kacie's Reviews > Redwall

Redwall by Brian Jacques

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: childrens
Read in February, 2012

Redwall by Brian Jacques was one of my favorite books growing up. I loved getting lost in a world different from my own. In the world of rats, mice, badgers, and other small creatures, Matthias, a mouse eager to prove his worth, goes on a quest to find a legendary sword in order to defeat the villainous Cluny the Scourge, a rat known for his evilness.

As a piece of young adult fiction, this book provides an appropriate fantasy world. Jacques uses language that is easy to understand. Because the novel is set in the imaginary world of rodents, it is necessary to describe the setting. Jacques does this by using vivid imagery to help turn this fantasy into near reality. It is believable as any fantasy can be and it suspends the reader's disbelief. One does not constantly think, "this is completely unbelievable because they are mice." It's easy to believe the world exists while reading it.

Matthias is a round character. At the beginning of the novel, Matthias is eager to prove himself as more than an awkward and clumsy mouse. Throughout his quest, he begins to become more self-aware. He grows in confidence and at the end, is sure enough of himself to defeat the villain.

I would use this in a class of middle school children. I would use the theme of finding yourself and being yourself. I would use Matthias as reference for topics for writing. For example, "Just like Matthias was able to defeat Cluny the Scourge, how have you been able to rise above a difficult situation and overcome it?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redwall.