Billy's Reviews > The Last Great Game: Duke vs. Kentucky and the 2.1 Seconds That Changed Basketball

The Last Great Game by Gene Wojciechowski

Mar 12, 12

Read from March 04 to 12, 2012

As a six year old, I remember watching this entire game live. I remember running up and down my parent's hallway when Laetner's shot went through the net. It was the reason that I became a Duke fan. Over the years since, I have learned a lot more about the Duke team but this is the most in-depth description of both teams that I have seen.

The book attempts to explain the personalities and relationships of each of the players and coaches involved in the game.

This is also one of the first detailed descriptions that I have seen about all the circumstances that the "Unforgettables" had to go through at Kentucky. A lot of times in the retelling of the game, their contribution gets glossed over as they are described as Jamal Mashburn's sidekicks. There is a good reason the four are revered in the state of Kentucky.

There have been many entertaining games and exciting finishes over the past 20 years, but no one full game that has been able to live up to standard set by this game. I only wish that I had seen the 1974 ACC Championship game as I have been told that it is the only other game that compares.

If you are a college basketball fan and remember the game, this is a great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Great Game.