Christal's Reviews > The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity

The Unwritten, Vol. 1 by Mike Carey

F_50x66
Mar 04, 12

Read in May, 2011

This cover called to me in the bookstore and I immediately grabbed it, a frappe and muffin, and sat down to read until I was done. Had vol 2 been there I would have devoured it as well, but alas no dice there.

Tommy Taylor is the son of a novelist who straight up copied Harry Potter, only Tommy Taylor might actually be the living creation of the character his 'father' created in his novels. In this first volume we see Tommy get rattled at a convention, find out that is a menacing man coming for him who is part of this bigger secret group behind some of the greatest writers of our time. A menacing group who can create and destroy these writers at a drop of a hat, or when the writer tries to disassociate himself from his 'benefactors.'

The man following Tommy can kill, reducing the object or person to the puddle of words that make it or him/her up. Along the way Tommy battles his nefarious archenemy, a vampire, without realizing he is the real villain from the book and not some nutjob. He also meets one of his companions from the book, Sue.

It all culminates in the mansion where Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein, at a workshop being held there for horror novelists of all types, ending in their murder and the menacing man using it to incriminate Tommy. And along the way Tommy finds out his father may not be dead, as he has thought for the past several years.

Its a cool mystery/horror/fantasy with some really neat ideas. Tommy has been 'drilled' with trivia from his father, but its trivia about the geography associated with the famous classic novels and novelists. And it all comes together when Tommy finds a map in his father's old locked stuff in the Mary Shelley/Frankenstein estate... a map

I can't say much more, I have to get vol 2. Fantastic start, it's something new and fresh for me, different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten, Vol. 1.