Tammy's Reviews > New Spring

New Spring by Robert Jordan

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, own
Read from March 04 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy

Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sache are Accepted approaching their test to become Aes Sedai when the birth of a boy is Foretold. A boy, born on the slopes of Dragonmount, will learn to channel the dangerous forces of the Power, and will be vital to victory in the final battle with Shadow. The two aim to be the ones to discover him.

This book is a prequel to the Wheel of Time series, and gives background on Moiraine Damodred (great name!) and Lan Manodragoran. It's the first in the series I decided to pick up, but it probably wasn't the best choice. I enjoyed the book quite a bit, but the first 70+ pages were a slog because there is no context given at the start. One word in ten were made up words: people, places, titles. After acclimating, the book gets really engrossing, but it isn't so much a self contained story as a sequence of events in Moiraine's life. (The few chapters featuring Lan appear out of nowhere.) About 70 pages from the end, I was wondering what could actually be considered as a conclusion to this 'plot'. Well, in the last 20 pages or so, there's a contrived climax and then the book suddenly ends. In other reviews, I read this was originally a short story that appeared in Legends, which makes sense.

On the upside, I can tell I'm going to love Moiraine and Lan. One down. Fourteen to go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Spring.

03/06/2012 page 222