Amy Nielsen's Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Mar 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-booklist, fantasy-fiction, young-adult
Read from September 13 to 19, 2012

I liked this book although the re-write of fairy tales is, in my mind, only allowed by Shannon Hale and I wonder why I say that. Maybe it's because she does such an excellent job of it. This was a cute book and the extrapolation of events was interesting and fun yet predictable in a way that only a fairy tale can be. Most of the book focused on the romance between the eldest sister and the hero and I would have enjoyed knowing a bit more about the other princesses. And the way the story was set up, there can be lots more books both that precede this story and after - one for every princess probably!

I've been wanting to read this book for a long time most likely because the cover is cool which is sad and speaks to my shallow nature. I'm glad I did read it but I'm not gushing. It was probably more geared to a younger audience who may need/prefer a little simplistic plot. Wow, did I suggest that I might prefer a little more intellectual reading? Perish the thought!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.