Barbara C Johnson's Reviews > The Testament

The Testament by John Grisham

Mar 04, 12

Read in January, 2011

I've been a faithful fan of Grisham for years, but I felt let down by this book. It almost sounded as if Grisham hadn't written it. It raised the question, Can he remain so prolific on his own? Lots of repetition. At one point, I thought paragraphs were repeated. Because of the book's length and the frequency of the sensation of redundancy, I didn't want to go back and see if I could find the earlier references. My imagination? I don't know.
The trip into the Amazon was interesting. Much I hadn't known, but even in those descriptions, repetition of flooding rivers overflowing the banks and dark clouds on the horizon or shedding blinding rains was too much. He could have cut 100-200 pages out of the book and the story would not have suffered.
If he didn't have a ghostwriter for parts of the story, one might conclude that JG was getting tired, worn out, just spewing out words to meet a contractual obligation with his publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Testament.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gopakumar Nair I agree with Barbara.I could also see a shadow of a ghostwriter. But the amazon trip was interesting though there are a lot of repetitions in the descriptions of flood and rains.