Alex Owens's Reviews > Beauty's Release

Beauty's Release by A.N. Roquelaure

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-arcs
Read in July, 2012

It's probably best to start of the review of this, the third book in the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy, with a section from my review of the first book:

"In order to read the Sleeping Beauty series, you mush set aside ALL of your preconceived notions about sex, sexuality, consensual sex-- all if it should have no bearing on this story. This is not "your" story, it is the fictitious account of Sleeping Beauty and the Prince who awakened her (at least in the beginning, after which it becomes a story of multiple "slaves" and their many different views on BDSM.)

That above point is the key to not only reading the first book to completion, but the whole series, so I'll say it again: SET ASIDE ALL OF YOUR PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS REGARDING SEX."

Now, on to the actual book's review. I liked this one and the first book just about equally. The second book was my favorite overall. Of course, that may have had something to do with the fact that I read all three books within a 36 hour period, so I was functioning under the duress of spanking-overload.

For the final book in the series, Beauty and a few others are captured one night by foreign raiders, who've traveled there specifically to capture sex slaves to take back to their Sultan via a lengthy ship voyage. Once the vessel arrives with it's captured cargo, the slaves have no idea what to expect and if, without the safety net of the Queen and her land, their lives will be better or worse. Even much worse, becomes a distinct possibility. Without the limited rules of their Queen, the slaves have had their last bit of control stripped away completely, and it's through this complete and utter submission that the slaves begin to come into their true selves.

Overall, a satisfying end to on of the most unique series I've read in a good long while. Hats off to Roquelaure (Rice) for being mad enough (brave enough) to write the story that needed telling, and not the one that most readers expected. She could make a masterpiece out of cereal box copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty's Release.