Scotchneat's Reviews > Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto

Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto by Gianni Rodari

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: humour
Read in February, 2012

Originally written in the 70's when the Red Brigades were being dickheads in Italy, this book was just recently translated and released here.

It's a fable? Fairy tale? Amusing story in any case. Lamberto is a 93 YO millionaire who owns his own island, 24 banks and more than a handful of ailments. He gets the inside scoop in Egypt on how to get better and hires 6 people to chant his name 24/7.

Magically, he not only gets better, he gets younger. But then some namesake terrorists take over his island and hold him ransom, and things get a little absurd after that.

Even without the context needed to fully get the satire, it was absurd enough to be entertaining.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lamberto, Lamberto, Lamberto.

message 1: by Plch (last edited Feb 05, 2015 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Plch actually, I don't think Rodari was thinking of the red brigades: the 24 lambertos did it just for the money, in the same period there were plentiful of kidnapping cases were no terrorists (and political motives) were involved, just huge ransoms were asked. See 'Io non ho paura' for a completely different take of the same phenomenon.

Scotchneat That could be. Because I'm not as aware of Italian history during that time as I should be, I could be off on that. Thanks.