Kaylea Cross's Reviews > Because of You

Because of You by Jessica Scott

Mar 04, 2012

4-4.5 stars

I really loved this highly emotional contemporary military romance novel. The author did a great job with the military details (she's a vet, so that's even more awesome), as with the portrayal of the effects of war on both the soldiers and their families. Some really important issues were visited in this book, including the high suicide rate amongst our veterans, and the stresses placed on marriages which lends to an increased divorce rate. I really appreciated how bluntly and vividly Ms. Scott addressed these things and I'm looking forward to her next book!
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of You.

Jill Wonderful review Kaylea. And I agree JS's military details were fabulous.

Kaylea Cross They absolutely were! Boy I wish I could pick her brain :) I do all my research by reading and watching documentaries, plus talking to a few inside experts that are willing to help me. She's lived a military life for a long time, and it definitely translated onto the pages.

I just "spoke" to her on Twitter, and she said Evan and Claire's story is out next, then Laura and Trent at Christmas time. Can't wait! Really want to see a happy ending for them. (I'm a romantic, I can't help it)

Jill Kaylea wrote: "They absolutely were! Boy I wish I could pick her brain :) I do all my research by reading and watching documentaries, plus talking to a few inside experts that are willing to help me. She's lived ..."

Great news! I'm esp looking forward to E&C's story.

I don't think you're too sloppy on the military details Kaylea! You've got a lot of fans who appreciate that particular aspect in your latest series.

Kaylea Cross You're very sweet to say so :) I actually found out I did a bit of a military protocol booboo with the ending of Deadly Descent, so I'll have to clear that up in this next book.

Kaylea Cross Thanks! I love that she's still serving in the army. To me, it makes her writing even more poignant.

message 7: by Jill (last edited Mar 04, 2012 05:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kaylea wrote: "You're very sweet to say so :) I actually found out I did a bit of a military protocol booboo with the ending of Deadly Descent, so I'll have to clear that up in this next book."

Love to know. Can you share??

Kaylea Cross Sure! Despite all the research I did, at the end of Deadly Descent I have Devon and Cam getting engaged. Turns out that this is a giant no-no due to their difference in rank, even though they're in different branches of service. Military law actually allows a commander to kick a soldier out of the service for marrying someone of inferior rank (it's a court-martial offense).

So, I'm currently trying to figure out how to make things right. As of right now I'm leaning toward having Devon leave the Army for a civilian job. I never realized military law was so strict on this point, especially considering a marriage shows such dedication to each other. I'm just waiting on a few sources to figure out how I should best handle it, and one of those sources happens to be Ms. Scott herself :) She's been such a sweetheart to help me with this!

Jill Oh right, thanks for sharing. Bit of a bummer Devon has to leave the military though. Looking forward to Danger Close (that's book #2, right?) hopefully sooner rather than later, Kaylea!

Kaylea Cross I'm working on it! I think I've got most of the bugs worked out of the plot now, so it's just a matter of finishing the draft before I can polish it and submit it to my editor. Then I hold my breath and cross all my fingers and toes while I wait :)

message 11: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Nice review Kaylea. Sounds like this is a good book so I have added it to my ever growing wish list. Good to hear that you just finishing of the second Bagram book as can't wait to get my sticky little fingers on it ☺

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I'm sold, gonna add it to my massive TBR pile.

Kaylea Cross I'm glad you liked the first one, Dee! You will definitely love the flavor of Because of You. The way Shane protects his soldiers is just bang on.

Jenn, I think you'll really like this one. It's not super hot, but the emotions involved make up for that ;)