Sarah's Reviews > What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

642041
Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: memoir
Read from September 19 to 21, 2011

Ir feels a little strange to read someone's memoir-of-sorts before any of his novels, but I had a good reason. I started running a little less than a year ago, and I'm still looking for inspiration and information in whatever form it takes. I've been drawn to books by extreme athletes for years: mountain climbers, ultramarathoners, and others who push the limits of their bodies in ways I have no interest in doing. Murakami is an extreme runner, hitting the road every day and logging hundreds of miles every month, but I was particularly interested in his take on the subject because he is an amateur runner and a professional writer. Sure, every sport memoir is written by a writer by definition. What I wanted from Murakami was an insight into balance: balance of hobby and career, balance of goals. A treatise on focus. Those are the points that he most ably delivered, in my opinion. I wasn't really invested enough in his career to care about the other stuff, but I really enjoyed his perspective on being a writer who runs, and the ways the two spill over.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

09/20/2011 page 69