Donna's Reviews > Night Myst

Night Myst by Yasmine Galenorn

Dec 04, 2016

bookshelves: best-bitten, faeries, pnr, supernatural, vampires, library
Read from November 15 to 21, 2016

This was a really fun, sexy read that worked wonders on my reading funk. I needed something like NIGHT MYST that could help me escape, give me a great character to follow, some awesome sex to read, and throw me a fantastic story while it was at it. Talk about delivering.

Galenorn gets quite dark with her paranormal world, especially with the vampires. Making them basically sexual deviants, they’re both arousing and repelling at the same time. I found myself feeling much the same way Cicely was when she was around them. Total train accident. You know you should look away, but you can’t.

And the fae and the Indigo Court? She made the fae both whimsical and terrifying at the same time. Yes, they’re these lovely creatures that exist in this in between world and they’re beautiful and powerful and they will annihilate you. Don’t you forget that. Cecily finds herself the pawn more than once and it really roots her into their world. She is a tool to be used and they make no qualms about letting her know that. It humbles her and reminds her just where she stands in the grander scheme of things.

As for the Indigo Court, they’re truly terrifying. These vampire/faery crossovers that are basically the Blades of Galenorn’s world and they’re looking to mess stuff up. I like the hoisted by their own petard twist at the end along with Cecily finding out just where she stands, again, with these heinous fae things. As if it couldn’t get any worse.

I liked Cecily. I liked how Galenorn made a point to show that she’s tiny but fit, and not like yoga fit. She’s 5’4″ and 140 or 150 pounds, so girl’s pretty jacked. She’s better at holding herself against the physical requirements of her supernatural job that’s been dropped in her lap, but against otherworldly beings she still falls horribly short. She’s humble and realistic and completely down to earth and someone I look forward to getting to know over the course of the series. I found her reactions to things incredibly reasonable and it made me so happy how she reacted to the vampires. It was something that made sense for the situation without devolving into your grossly standard “falling in love with a rapist” scenario. No notion of a love triangle. There is one dude for Cecily and she does her damndest to help him.

Overall a really great beginning to the series. I tried Galenorn’s Sisters of the Moon series but I didn’t get past the first book. It just wasn’t clicking with me. But NIGHT MYST is totally nailing it. It’s such a great balance of romance (which is actually fairly light), sex, and world-building that it really sucks me in. The characters are great and believable and sympathetic (and at times awful and terrifying and seducing), the story is dragging me along from one end of the other, and I’m loving Galenorn’s world. I want more.

4.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Myst.

11/15/2016 marked as: to-read