Rachel at theJeepDiva's Reviews > The Gods Among Us

The Gods Among Us by D.C. Belton

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: for-review
Read in February, 2012

I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next one in the series. The Gods Among Us speaks of the different gods and goddess.

The start of the book was a little hard for me to follow simply because there was so many different gods and goddesses. However the book soon pulled me along on Pallas's adventure.

The story follows a 16 year old drone by the name of Pallas. Drones are the lowest station of humans and there job is to feed the gods. Pallas is causing or finding trouble everywhere she goes in this story, but she stands up for what she believes in. She is much smarter than the other drones in the story because her father taught her various things that no other drones really understands. She later learns to read and is schooled on how to act among the more noble class of people.

Pallas lost her mother to the sea when she was younger and she blames Aegeia (goddess of the sea) for it. On her 16th birthday she is strolling on the beach wishing to escape when she sees something floating in the sea. She decides to swim out to see what it is and her life is never the same. She makes it to the egg as she calls it and climbs in with the help of some dolphins. There she meets a cat named Othello who is able to talk.

Othello and Pallas have many adventures in this book and encounter many dangers including Pallas almost becoming a sacrifice and later is believed to be the one to fulfill a prophecy "The Age of Aquarius". The book leaves you waiting for the next installment of The Divine Masquerade series called Whom the Gods Destroy.

Overall I enjoyed the plot and the characters. I wish we had been able to meet the father of Pallas. Also maybe in the second book we will find out more about Pallas's mother? I hope to see a little romance blossom in the next one. I like the cover on this book. I liked how the book ended. It left it ready for the next book but it did not leave this book unfinished either.

Source: I received a copy of this book from the author to provide an honest and fair review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gods Among Us.