The Reading List (Megan)'s Reviews > The Hob's Bargain

The Hob's Bargain by Patricia Briggs

Mar 04, 2012

Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy

The Hob's Bargain is one of Patricia Briggs' early works, and as a fan of her Mercy Thompson series I was eager to read this book after receiving it from a friend. Although it is nothing like her urban fantasy series, The Hob's Bargain is a good fantasy read.

I'll admit, this novel is rather predictable (it felt a little Beauty and the Beast to me), but it was still a good read.

Aren's character is a bit drab in the beginning; I guess I am so used to Briggs' Mercy Thompson series that I mentally wanted them to be similar characters, but Aren is not Mercy. As the story progresses and Aren begins learning more about her abilities from the Hob she begins to break out of her shell. I did appreciate how Aren doesn't have a hero complex. She seemed to almost be thrust into the events of the story. Despite the fact that the villagers genuinely despise her and her abilites, she just wants to help the people in her village.

For being a standalone novel, Briggs did a phenomenal job with the world building. The creatures Aren encounters on her journey all seem to have some kind of vendetta, but that's probably due to the fact that they were bound away for so long--you'd come back with a vengence too. She's also good at making you feel like the novel is really set in the middle ages with the descriptions and the dialogue. Granted I have no idea what the world looked like back then or how anyone talked, but I'm willing to bet it would be something like this.

The story moves rather quickly and it has to to cover everything in one novel, but I almost wish that there was a second novel or even a third to go along with this one. The characters were likable, but the story could have gone in so many more directions. Caefawn seems nice enough but despite being the last of his kind we really don't know that much about him. The same with Aren. She's likeable enough, but we really don't know anything about her other than magic seems to run in her family.

Still, a great read if you are in the mood to read something new without starting a series, and fans of Briggs' Mercy Thompson series definitely need to give this novel a read.

Read this review and other reviews on The Reading List! http://readinglist-m.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hob's Bargain.