Blythe's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

5206717
Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss-arc, in-a-name-challenge, judge-a-book-by-the-cover, 2012-reads, didn-t-see-that-coming, gimme-the-next-book, hand-me-some-tissues, read-reviewed, exceeded-my-expectations, 2012-favorites
Recommended to Blythe by: Wendy Darling
Recommended for: Absolutely everyone!
Read from April 10 to 11, 2012

*sigh*. This is going to be a hard review to write, but here’s my attempt at writing a review for Masque of the Red Death, even though I know it will not do it justice.

I’ll start off with saying this: I. Loved. This. Book. I loved it with a burning passion, I loved it from the first page, all the way to the last. There was honestly not one moment of this book that I didn’t love.

As I’m writing this review, I’m overcome with so many emotions I’ve received from this book. I cried a little when reading this (view spoiler), I laughed a little when reading this, and most of all I was grinning from ear to ear throughout the whole entire book.

I love how, from the beginning of the book, I’ve had my opinions set on each and every character, and I thought my opinions were set in stone, but Griffin somehow managed to switch everything up and make my opinions the exact opposite. (Though I still think April is a bit selfish).

I wasn’t prepared for an ending like that, and, while it was a bit abrupt, I still loved it. I did not see any of the plot twists coming (I believe there were three, well, at least there were three for me), and what I absolutely loved is that even when Araby finds out the plot twists, she doesn’t flat out say what they are and gives you some time to think, and then you finally realize what the plot twists are on your own. (view spoiler)

I really, really loved the characters in this book, especially Araby. She was sweet, thoughtful and caring, and I absolutely loved that about her. Then there’s also Will, who I really liked, and his two siblings, Elise and Harry, whom I loved. Then there’s April, who’s Araby’s best friend, and sister of another main character, Elliott (who I didn’t like at first but ended up really liking in the end), who I think is pretty selfish (when Araby hurt her shoulder severely, April’s reaction was “Aw, you’re never going to be able to wear a backless dress again.” She wasn’t joking). Despite that, she was a good friend to Araby at times, and genuinely cared for her. But of course, there are also the two antagonists of the book, Prince Prospero and Malcontent. The only complaints I have with these two are their names.

Prospero I assume comes from the word “prosper”, which means to be successful, so that was kind of a corny name in my mind for someone trying to take over the world, and a malcontent is someone who rebels against an established system, which also applies to the actions of Malcontent’s character.

There’s not really much left I have to say about this, other than that I (of course) loved it, and was extremely happy with the way things ended.

I sent Bethany Griffin a message asking if there will be a sequel, but I’ve heard that Masque of the Red Death is supposed to be the first book in a trilogy, so I cannot wait for the next two books (I just hope that isn’t a rumor, and that there actually will be more books to come, but it kind of leaves with an open ending, and everyone planning to do… something that I can’t say, so there has to be another book. Right? Please say right).

Highly recommended to absolutely everyone.

And if you still aren’t convinced to read this, would it help if I told you that there’s:

Crocodiles, bats, masquerade balls, poisonings, treason, some romance, lots of action, icky diseases, and an awesome world?

Please tell me that convinced you.

UPDATE:

I just got a response from Bethany Griffin saying that the series will be with two books, and book two will take place less than five minutes after the events of Masque of the Red Death. Book two will be released in April of 2013! (Can't wait!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

04/10/2012
36.0% "Wow, wow, WOW! I'm extremely loving this!" 1 comment
04/11/2012
52.0% "Still loving it! I'm planning on finishing it tonight."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling It's very light on steampunk, Blythe, but hopefully you'll enjoy it anyway!

Blythe Sounds good to me! Ive only had one encounter with steampunk (The Peculiars), and I really didn't like that book, so right now, the less steampunk, the better.

message 3: by Blythe (last edited Apr 12, 2012 12:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blythe I finished a few hours ago and just posted my review. Thanks for the recommendation, Wendy! I absolutely loved it.

Wendy Darling I think there's just one sequel, Blythe, unless I'm mixing it up with a different book! I'm so happy you loved it, yay.

And now you should check out the original Poe story, too, just for comparison's sake. :) It's really interesting to see what she did.

Blythe Wendy Darling wrote: "I think there's just one sequel, Blythe, unless I'm mixing it up with a different book! I'm so happy you loved it, yay.

And now you should check out the original Poe story, too, just for comparis..."

I just got a reply from Bethany Griffin that there will be one more sequel, and it's planned to be released April of 2013!

message 6: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Sounds like a great book! Adding it to my to-read list. (Oh, and Prospero may be in reference or homage to Shakespeare's character of that name in The Tempest).

Blythe Alyssa wrote: "Sounds like a great book! Adding it to my to-read list. (Oh, and Prospero may be in reference or homage to Shakespeare's character of that name in The Tempest)."

I thought of that, but wasn't Prospero a magician? I made the connection, but Prince Prospero has nothing to do with magic.

And you really need to read this, Alyssa!

Blythe Or maybe I'm over thinking it and Prospero comes from the antagonist's name in Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe (yeah, that's probably it).