Aleksandr Voinov's Reviews > Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters

Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schmidt
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story Structure Architect.

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 13: by Dani (new)

Dani Alexander Oi! I have this one! =) I liked it a lot. (ofc I have like 50 books on writing).

message 12: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I'm just scanning my library, but now my phone's battery is dead. *shakes fist* I'll continue soon. I have a bookcase full of them.

message 11: by Dani (new)

Dani Alexander Ditto =D lol. Too many books on writing to count. ANd I'm in the middle of reading maybe ten too.

I don't think I could scan mine. Most aren't ebooks. A lot of them were a waste of time for me, but the ones that I treasure are definitely treasure.

Do you have favorites? :D Gimme your favorites list! (er so demanding, I am. Now I want to be all *whipsmack* and domme. I think that's Marleen's area of expertise though).

Please =D.

message 10: by Aleksandr (last edited Mar 04, 2012 02:59PM) (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov I adore Donald Maass's and Noah Lukeman's books. Also, Sol Stein's "On Writing" got me started. Same title by Stephen King is one I re-read. I also really enjoyed the Writers Digest "Elements of Fiction Writing" series. And then there's Robert McKee "Story" and Christopher Vogler "The Writer's Journey". That's pretty much it. (Then why did I fill five shelves...?)

You?

message 9: by Dani (new)

Dani Alexander Agree with Maas - especially the "breakout" notebook (i'm a sucker for notebooks). Haven't seen Lukeman before. Added it to list to checkout. Sol Stein and King were too existential for me-more finding inspiration and staying motivated when I need more help with my craft than the motivation. (Writing about sexy boys is always in my head LOL.)

LOVE the Write'rs digest series.

Checking out McKee and Vogler now that you mentioned them.

For me I love the book we're commenting under. LOL It's one I have to go back to.

I think my current ones are too basic level for you, but i like self-editing for fiction writers and How Not To Write a Novel.

I liked The Plot Whisperer and Plot & Structure by James Bell.

My basic problem is I start reading and then I get inspired and start writing =D. I rarely finish any of the How-Tos.

Have you seen the Uncle Jim posts on AW? Those are really interesting (read: time-wasting) LOL.

message 8: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov That's the point for me - whenever I feel "meh" about writing, I grab a creative writing book. I'm currently re-reading Maass's "Writing the Breakout Novel", and then going to read his "The Fire in Fiction".

message 7: by Dani (new)

Dani Alexander I get too caught up in the how tos and end up reading instead of writing. When I finally sit down to write, I have to hide the Kindle, turn off the internet and shut the door from the cats.

My attention is like a fly on a bullet-ridden corpse. "Where do I start? Too many holes! Oh look that one's bigger. But this one has blood. But that one has guts."

You get the picture. Probably way too much a picture from my mail

Oh shit, I completely forgot the How To Write a Damn Good Novel series. I liked those too (James Frey).

message 6: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov The funny thing with Frey is that he's the lowest common denominator and he ca't write to save his life (even his examples suck dog balls). I actually trashed his books. :)

message 5: by Dani (new)

Dani Alexander Aww LOL I didn't think they were that bad. I do remember that after I read them there was some controversy, but tbh, the moment I hear controversy, I'm usually in another room before the "versy" part is said.

Which is weird considering my posts on Dear Author and my last blog post. I have to get really frustrated to say anything. A year of frustration was enough for that.

Bzz bzz "oh look another hole!" I'm digressing again.

message 4: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov LOL. :) They translated the Frey books pretty much first, so I read them and thought they were good. Then I read some of the GOOD ones...

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani Alexander Yeah I definitely wouldn't put him as all-time favorite. I did like them, though. I just enjoyed the Maas, Schmidt and Bell ones more. So they came to my mind first.

I think a lot of writing books have insights, but only a few have a package of insights. That's the problem with most How-To books. There's always a gem of wisdom, but the whole book tends not to be overwhelmingly helpful. I'm always on the lookout for writing books which have more than one or two insights and make me go "Oh, wow. I do that!" or "wow I never thought about that!". Y'know?

Weirdly, it was bloggers, other authors, my editors and beta readers who taught me more about writing than I could ever learn from a book.

message 2: by Aleksandr (new) - added it

Aleksandr Voinov Maass, Lukeman, Stein. Lots of great stuff there. :)

message 1: by Dani (new)

Dani Alexander Aleksandr wrote: "Maass, Lukeman, Stein. Lots of great stuff there. :)"

Yes, you have now completed distracting me from writing =P I have way too much to read. =( You're a devious man, Aleks, sucking me into your web of books.