Deidra (I Believe in Books)'s Reviews > Nevermore

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Mar 18, 13

bookshelves: books-i-own, for-school
Read from May 19 to 27, 2012

Why I Loved It: Never have I ever been more surprised to love a book than when reading this one. I don't guess I should have been surprised since I love Edgar Allen Poe. But still. You have to do it right if you are going to dip into Mr. Poe. And let me tell you, this book was done right. This was one of those books I read last year, but never got around to reviewing due to the crazy. But now, I give you my review. Ahem.

Isobel is pretty much your typical popular girl in the beginning. She's got the boyfriend, the side kick, and the pom poms. That seems to be the sweet deal everyone wants. Well luckily for all the readers out there, she gets paired up with Varen in English class. The poor girl gets stuck with him for a project for which he chooses to go into the literary genius that is Edgar Allen Poe *of course* and there the real story begins. So Varen. Yeah, if you went to high school in the last few years, he would have fit right in at the "goth table" I never really thought goth was a good term, but I guess it will work for imagery purposes. Imagine that complete with kohl lining his black eyes and piercings, and you have Varen. So why was this man so attractive?? Because there was so much more to him than appearances. So that's something you have to look forward to. Unraveling the mystery that is Varen.

The book has flashbacks through the story to Poe, alive in the flesh, dealing with shall we say demons? That's not quite the adequate description, but the idea is there. The story goes back to when Poe was living and what he dealt with as created in the creative mind of Ms. Creagh. It was a seriously interesting spin on the story.

During this progression of the project, Isobel finds herself being drawn to Varen. She wants to know more about him, and she does start to do just that. But while appearances can be deceiving, they can also be incredibly dangerous. Getting close to Varen will have consequences for her as well as for him.

The book is incredibly original, action packed, and a fresh read in the land of YA. It's one I recommend to lots of people.

Who Should Read It: Lovers of the creepy, Edgar Allen Poe, and just something super original.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

05/24/2012 page 237