Michelle [Helen Geek]'s Reviews > Curio

Mar 25, 12

bookshelves: nook-tbr, ntm_authors_2012, a-little-erotica, 4-star
Recommended to Michelle by: Ruthie
Read on March 25, 2012

4 Stars, but didn't happen for me until I was about 70% complete.

Let me tell you why ... Caroly.

Caroly is fast approaching 30 and is still a virgin. She is a virgin because, as described in the very first chapter or so, she was only attracted to very good looking men. Model perfect looking men. The men she felt she could attract, she wasn't attracted to and therefore, didn't want to "award" them her virginity. She learns about Didier, who is a male prostitute, and absolutely gorgeous from a co-worker at the art gallery where she works. He is a former model for several artists. She becomes very attracted to him and decides, she could work with this man to lose her virginity, and makes contact.

Caroly repelled me. I found her and her attitude so abhorrent, I was very tempted to not finish this book. But, I went back, read a few GR reviews of my friends, and thought, "got to be more here" and pushed to the finish.

Didier -- all the way through this book, you absolutely love this man. He is kind, intuitive, gentle, everything. For me, thinking he was with Caroly, further added to my displeasure and almost hatred of this story.

As we push forward, we find out why these two are the way they are. We learn there is a bit more to Caroly, who turns out isn't as shallow as we first think. And, we find out that Didier isn't as self assured as we first believe. I wasn't entirely pleased with these new turn of events, but it did make me back off my first impressions of Caroly and I don't usually change from my first impressions. For this alone, the author deserves additional credit [my opinion].

I did enjoy this book - quite a bit. It obviously took me to the end to appreciate it fully, but am glad I stuck it out. If I find something appealing, or rated highly by my GR friends, I may read more by this author.

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curio.

03/25/2012 page 55
50.0% "Okay, wanted something quick while I'm working on a few other reads [remember ... attention issues]. And, frankly not getting this. The fem is so, so annoying. Touch him already. Loving Didier right now, but Caroly [unfinished name is appropriate so far] is crazy making! You paid, TOUCH!" 3 comments
03/25/2012 page 100
90.0% "Interesting, but troubled."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ This one is high on my TBR pile, so I'm hoping it'll get better.

Karla PHEW!!! I glad you enjoyed it Michelle and your review was perfect. I always try to push through hoping that something will pull me in, and alot of times that doesn't happen until the halfway mark and I do the "turnaround" as Lady Jayne calls it! I would have missed many a "goodread" if I had given up too early, but it doesn't always work that way. I'm glad this was one of those books for you.

message 3: by Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (last edited Mar 25, 2012 04:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ Glad to hear it got better - it maintains its position on the list :)