Susan (The Book Bag)'s Reviews > Letters In Cardboard Boxes

Letters In Cardboard Boxes by Abby Slovin

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012
Read from March 15 to 18, 2012

Okay, so once again, the cover hooked me. And once again, I loved the story in the book! Pretty good system I've got here ~ great covers = great books!

Seriously though, I loved everything about Letters in Cardboard Boxes. Well, maybe not everything, there were a couple of things I didn't like, but more on that in a minute. I loved the relationship between Parker and her grandmother ~ what a neat relationship they had. And I loved the very mature and together teen, Tanya, who Parker thought she was doing a favor by mentoring, but who ends up becoming a great friend. And then there is Jerry, the neighbor who was very much a part of Parker's family's past and who is there for her now. And I loved how Parker and her grandmother thought a perfect way to spend an evening was to watch old movies all night and to finish off a whole pie. Gotta love it!

The letters that Parker and her grandmother wrote to each other started out as a way for them to stay in touch when Parker was young. The letters came from places they imagined, from all over the world. But those short notes also contained very wise life lessons, written from grandmother to granddaughter.

Parker's life has really never been easy and with her grandmother getting up in age, there are some tough decisions to make. But surrounded by her new friends, who quickly become like family, and her grandmother's letters, she learns to do the right things.

This is a great book and I highly recommend it, especially if you like a story with real, likable characters.

Oh, and the one or two things I mentioned above that I didn't like ~ that would be Parker's parents! They were off galavanting all around the world leaving Parker to pretty much raise herself. How could they do that? Thank goodness for grandma!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters In Cardboard Boxes.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Cindy Although my parents were around, I spent a lot of time at my grandparents. They were always there for me and the stability in my life. I still miss them each day.