Caitlin's Reviews > Worth Dying For

Worth Dying For by Lee Child

2209914
Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012

I have a collection on my Kindle named "Mind Candy." It contains the stuff I grab for myself and only myself. Lots of it tends to be popular fiction (although there's a fair amount of non-fiction in there, too). Lee Child's books sit happily in this collection. This collection is not necessarily for Serious Literature. It's mostly for fun and that's what Lee Child's Jack Reacher series is - big fun.

Some people complain that Reacher just isn't real enough. I mean, really, how could one guy take on so many bad guys at once and win - over and over again. And he's so forward! Always sticking his nose into situations that are obviously none of his business and getting involved can only lead to dreadful violence and brutality. I mean, really, who does this guy think he is?

He's Reacher, that's who. He's not a real person anymore than Jason Bourne or Superman are real people. He's an action hero. He's a superhero. He is almost invicible and always putting himself in harm's way to rescue someone. He's awesome and you have to admit, we all enjoy watching the bad guys get their asses kicked - that's Reacher's sole purpose for existing.

Worth Dying For is the fifteenth installment in the series. While it doesn't answer a lot of the questions left open in the preceding book, 61 Hours, it's still truly entertaining and I enjoyed every second of the ultraviolence - the running across Nebraska winter fields, the continuous line of Cornhuskers going down for the count, the competing groups of assassins - pure fun. Go read it for your own big fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worth Dying For.