Parallax's Reviews > The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft

The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft

U 50x66
Jul 30, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, short-stories, 2008-read, fantasy, horror, science-fiction
Read in August, 2008

Revisiting Lovecraft for the things beyond mortal ken that came from the cosmic deeps from outer space. The best of the short stories out of this collection was, "The Colour Out of Space" for the nameless, alien things? people? that came from a meteor. I've always liked how Lovecraft attempted to describe truly alien aliens. The most ambitious, if tediously dragging and too much telling and not enough showing for this modern reader, was "The Mountains of Madness" for the Lovecraftian mythos and ancient cities and civilizations gone to dust and decay.

The annotations were helpful in describing the more obscure parts of Lovecraft's vocabulary, the technical terms, and the popular scientific theories and knowledge of his day. I didn't care so much about the biographical bits and inspirations of Lovecraft's life, or about the speculation over where Arkham might be located. But I'm not that big of a Lovecraft fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft.