Sandee (The Whimsical Reader)'s Reviews > Sometimes It Happens

Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: i-f-cking-love-that-cover, oh-my-romance, stand-alone
Read from March 11 to 13, 2012

“Sometimes people do things that are complicated. For complicated reasons.

----------------------------

I have to agree with the title.
Sometimes things just happen without us knowing how or why.
Sometimes it just happens.
Like when it rains.
You have no way of telling when it will fall (unless you work with the agency who predicts the weather).
Anyway, enough of my blabbing. :p

Sometimes it happens starts with Hannah starting her senior year with a secret.
Something happened that summer when her best friend Ava was in Maine.
Before the Summer break, Hannah saw her boyfriend Sebastian kissing another girl.
Devastated she was expecting her best friend Ava to be there for her all through out that summer but Ava broke the news that she will be going to Maine for the summer.
Totally not the summer Hannah was expecting.
No best friend + No boyfriend = pigging out and sulking at home and crying.
But summer started to change as she started hanging out with Lacey and Ava’s boyfriend Noah.
Something happened that summer.
She felt it was wrong but right at the same time.
Now classes have started and she needs to face the consequences of what happened that summer.
She had to decide whether to keep it forever or come clean and tell her best friend what happened.
Before Ava finds out from someone else and possibly end of their friendship.

Firstly, I love the cover!
I am totally crazy over the girl in the cover.
I am not a lesbian but I thought she was really cute! :)
Pretty covers are plus points for me.

For me this book was pretty predictable and simple.
It wasn’t something you’d be totally hooked.
The plot was simple and a little boring although I loved how the author wrote the story.
How?
It was told in alternating timelines.
You’d get a glimpse of what was happening in the present and what happened during that summer.
That was good.
I thought it really suited the book to be written that way,

My main problem was Hannah.
She was a weak character with no distinct personality.
She stalks her ex-boyfriend in facebook! (seriously?)
She literally ate her way to get over her heartache. (so not good!)
She was also dependent on her best friend Ava.
She lacked self-confidence.
She does make me laugh sometimes but still not my most favorite character.

Noah however was a different story.
Noooaaahh! :) I lloooovvvveee you! :D
*kiss*
*smooch*
*smothering hug*
I loved Noah.
I mean cheating on your girlfriend is definitely a no no for me but there was something about Noah.
I don’t know what it is with me and guys named Noah. :p
(I also love Noah from Mara Dyer.)

For the other characters, they were pretty believable.
I hated Ava for being too bossy.
I love/hated Lacey because she was friendly and all but boy was she a stalker. Hahaha.
Then there’s Hannah’s a**hole ex-bf, Sebastian. I think you already got an idea of how I think about him. :)

All in all I still enjoyed the book but not enough for me to give it a 4.
It’s not a book I would recommend for those who wants to read books that would make you giddy all over because it didn’t really do that to me.
It was just okay.
I will still be reading the other books of Ms. Barnholdt because I loved how she writes just not really crazy other the story itself.

I give this book 3.5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sometimes It Happens.

Quotes Sandee (The Whimsical Reader) Liked

Lauren Barnholdt
“Sometimes people do things that are complicated. For complicated reasons.”
Lauren Barnholdt, Sometimes It Happens

Lauren Barnholdt
“I traded being heartbroken over one guys for being completely heartbroken over another. And I didn't even get to have any fun in between. No relationship, no sex, not even a good makeout session.”
Lauren Barnholdt, Sometimes It Happens

03/11/2012
03/12/2012
14.0% "Uooohh.. Reminded me of Something like Fate." 2 comments
03/12/2012
25.0% "I guess sometimes things like this really do happen."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Prashant (new)

Prashant I am not going to lie and say that I am going to read this book. The review is nice but I am not a fan of mushy love-stories which centre around people who think that they are at the centre of the universe. As if I don't get it enough in the real life!!

one question here, how come girls can admit other girls to pretty but guys can't? I for one can't!!

Sandee (The Whimsical Reader) Well I wouldn't really recommend this book either. :p There are good romanace novels there that doesn't dwell too much on the mushy side of things.

I dunno. :) Maybe because guys are too scared of being called gay if they say that a fellow guy is goodlooking. :P

message 3: by Prashant (new)

Prashant Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "Well I wouldn't really recommend this book either. :p There are good romanace novels there that doesn't dwell too much on the mushy side of things.

I dunno. :) Maybe because guys are too scared ..."

HaHa. that may be the case. Who knows. Guys have to keep the macho and heterosexual image all the time.

I am uninitiated as far as for the non-mushy love stories are concerned. Can you suggest me a couple. Not 100 years of Solitude. It was difficult enough to read it once :P

Sandee (The Whimsical Reader) macho and herterosexual image?! possible. :D

Anyways let me try and think because the last book that I read wasn't that much of a love story but it made me cry so much.
The message of the book was so good.
I dunno if you'd like it but its The Fault in Our Stars.

Don't worry had a hard time reading 100 years of solitude too.

message 5: by Prashant (new)

Prashant Sandeelovesbooks wrote: "macho and herterosexual image?! possible. :D

The message of the book ..."

Maybe I should have wrote a non forgiving and non wavering love for rationality image. :P

I don't know how I missed your review but I loved it. I have been looking for any of Green's work for long now but just not able to get any at the usual places I visit for books.

Will have to go for the online store route. Thanks a lot for the recommendation. :)

Sandee (The Whimsical Reader) No problem! :D
I am actually craving more of his work now. You should really try it. I read this with a couple of my friends and we actually enjoyed reading it together.

Hope you'll like it too.
Very moving and inspiring book.