Li's Reviews > Champion of the Rose

Champion of the Rose by Andrea K. Höst

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, read-in-2012, series, 2012-new-to-me-author, cross-posted
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy

Andrea Höst has given me consistently good storytelling, and I loved the concept of CHAMPION: a king's champion who has essentially been made redundant and whose main purpose is purely decorative... and then suddenly everything changes and Soren is thrust blinking into the spotlight. And this is the story of how she faces up to the challenge.

I liked how Andrea Höst colours in her characters - the shades-of-grey villain, the true "otherness" of fae, and so on. Also unusual was how the practicalities of rescuing a failing kingdom were considered - its issues may have been caused by magic, but trade becomes a way of bringing the country back to life. Having said that, traditional fantasy elements were also present and perhaps the most disturbing was the use of magic to bring about the loss of free will.

The ending, perhaps, was a little too easy and I'm dying for a sequel to find out more about certain characters. And as there will be one, I'm all excited.

**********
Not really relevant and not really a spoiler (view spoiler)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Champion of the Rose.