Josie's Reviews > The Wee Free Men

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read in February, 2012

Several people have now recommended the Tiffany Aching series to me, so I thought it was about time I got around to reading the first book. I was underwhelmed, though? I mean, some of it was great -- I loved the image of Tiffany in her too-big boots, armed with a frying pan. And I also liked the message that magic doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it's done.

But the plot felt a bit thin, and it dragged in places, especially in the dream world. I also thought the Nac Mac Feegles solved a lot of Tiffany's problems. I know by the end Tiffany learns who she is, and what it means to be a witch, but I didn't feel like she properly had a Journey where she learnt that? She was more just following the Nac Mac Feegles around while she tried to rescue her brother. Oh, and I thought she sounded and acted too old for nine years old.

But I did enjoy the Nac Mac Feegle, with their Scottish accents and fear of lawyers. And I will be reading the next book in the series. I just hope it's more consistent than this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wee Free Men.