Russell Clank's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

M_50x66
Mar 04, 12

Well, it was a cool story, Bro...

The fact of the matter is, there was a lot of good things about this story that I'd heard, and when I got it for my birthday, I was excited to crack it open and get to reading. At first, I was pretty interested, starting off with characters recollecting the start of the entire apocalypse... I'd dive into the early details, but I have no intentions of getting a spoiler wrapped around this.

Max Brooks had some good storytelling strategies in his sleeve that he used, and to be honest, the storyline was pretty good. The book had it's moments where it absolutely brought me up to a point of great anticipation. But that's the point. Maybe it's the fact that the people around me were giving this book verbal fellatio that led me to the disappointment, but I didn't see what set this aside from any ordinary book. It was just a collection of stories, linked together simply, and at a few points, longer than average. Take Yonkers for example; there was so much potential for that entire scene to take hold and absolutely rule the book. But, Brooks just made it more average than that.

A few orgasmic scenes happened, but in the end, it was never very well explained why man, with all his tanks, armored vehicles, helicopters, jets, and guns, was unable to defeat the zombie at first. The story used ways of supporting itself that just weren't supportive enough. They were unrealistic... (Complaint about realism in a zombie book? Check. Come at me if you don't like it bro.)

And then, we have the entire cast of characters. Man, woman, it really didn't matter. Many of them sounded the same. Many of them were weathered, worn, and all, but the fact of the matter was, Brooks didn't do enough to separate them. They were very much alike one another.

I'd go on, but I'd just drone. I really wanted to like this book, yet, it was just okay in the end. Honestly, it could have been done better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.