Mike's Reviews > Superman for All Seasons

Superman for All Seasons by Jeph Loeb

8041939
Mar 04, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, graphic-novels, stand-alone-sequential-art

I never been a huge fan of Superman stories. I have no problem with the character per se, but I usually find other heroes more interesting.

So it was with a fair bit of surprise that when I first read a friend's copy of For All Seasons ten years ago I stumbled upon one of the best comic books I'd ever read. Revisiting it now I'm pleased to say it still is.

The trade is divided up into four sections, predictably named after the seasons. Each is narrated by a different supporting character, starting with Pa Kent in Spring (I'll leave the others as a surprise). We see a high school senior Clark Kent and his parents realizing his world is about to change forever, even moreso than usual at that age. We feel them struggle with questions with no easy answers and do the best they can with what they have, just like the rest of us.

Loeb and Sale created a masterpiece through a story beautifully rendered in both art and words. And by focusing on fantastic premise questions: how did a farmer's son become Superman, and what came next?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superman for All Seasons.