Mimi Valentine's Reviews > Torn

Torn by Amanda Hocking

Rating: 4.5 beautiful stars!

You know you have an amazing sequel when you love it more than the first book — and that's exactly the case with Torn! I wasn't expecting to be as blown away as I was but I ended up loving it from the beautiful cover to the heartbreaking end.

From the very first page, I already knew I was going to lose sleep reading this book! It still gives enough information to remind you of what happened in Switched, but the recap isn't boring or overwhelming. We also get to learn more about the Trylle lore, with its beautiful and magical trolls that are separated into two quarreling kingdoms (both of which have automatically made it onto my list of Fictional Places I Want To Live In).

In the first book, Wendy was only discovering her Trylle heritage and she was admittedly a little childish with her actions. But in Torn, you watch her grow and develop and have to go through so many sacrifices to protect her kingdom that you can't help but love her! My heart was on an inconsistent rhythm, but it was always in sync with hers.

Wendy's birth mother, Elora, also surprised me with how much I grew to like her. And even though you watch Wendy's forbidden romance with Finn dwindle before your eyes, which is as painful and heartbreaking to us as it is to her, we get to meet Loki (who completely stole me heart)! How can you not fall for a guy who's fun and sardonic yet still adorably sweet??

Beautifully written and crafted, Torn is a book that I think everyone should have on their shelf! The lore is original and enchanting, the romance is sweet and heartbreaking, and Wendy's sacrifices will tear you apart. I can't wait to get my hands on the final installment! :)

BUY or BORROW?: Definitely a book worth buying! If not for the gorgeous cover, then buy it for the coolest trolls you will ever read about in your life! ;)

(Original review at Mimi Valentine's YA Review Blog)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.

Quotes Mimi Liked

Amanda Hocking
“Right then, it didn't matter what his reasons were. All I knew that I was sick of him breaking my heart.”
Amanda Hocking, Torn

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kaylee Magic BWAHAHA.. did I not tell you that you'd love this book?? XD

Mimi Valentine LOL yes, you are a fortuneteller, Kay! x) Have you thought of going into the business? (I'd totally pay you!) And thank you so much for sending me a copy -- it means a lot! :') <3

Kaylee Magic Pshh. Mimi, even when I become the best fortune teller in Canada, I would not take your money if you strapped me to a chair and told me too -- you're always free! ;P and of course! (: <33333

Mimi Valentine What if it was an electric chair? x)

Kaylee Magic Not even if it was an electric chair with a piece of chocolate hanging in front of it that I wouldn't be able to eat unless I took your money! ;)

Mimi Valentine You would resist chocolate for me??? AWW! I am TOUCHED. :')

Kaylee Magic Anything for a fellow Loki-lover! (: <333

Mimi Valentine LOKI!!!!! <3 Oh my gosh, there are no words for his awesomeness -- I want him to end up with Wendy! :) Although I have to admit that the one scene near the end of this book... (view spoiler) <-- THAT had to be my favourite scene of the entire book. The romantic in me wanted to cry! <3

Kaylee Magic DUDE. That was my favourite scene too!!!! <3333333 I swear I re-read it a million times as if to imprint it on my brain! It was so. damn. SWEET! *dreamy sigh* why don't we have our own Finns, Mimi?

message 10: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine Because the world is a cruel, unfair place x)

Kaylee Magic Amen, sister! :P

message 12: by Mimi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mimi Valentine LOL! If only we were actual sisters <3

message 13: by Shinee (new) - added it

Shinee I'm new here and I was wondering if you could actually read the book torn? thank you