Dee's Reviews > The Butterfly Clues

The Butterfly Clues by Kate Ellison

Mar 07, 12

Read from March 04 to 07, 2012

* 3.5 stars *

This was a really good read, fast paced and interesting.
To keep it brief, the protagonist (Penelope) has OCD and is trying to solve the mystery of a girl who was murdered. She has the impulse to pocket various things wherever she goes, and has to cope with a family tragedy and the disrupted relationship between her and her parents. Being an introvert also makes her an outcast in school.
The girl was murdered in an area called Neverland, the area that occupies a lot of homeless people and drug sellers etc. She befriends a boy who calls himself "Flynt."
We are thrown into Penelope's world right away, into her mind. The way she see's people, herself, how she copes when she is outside and wants to steal things that are beautiful to her. She becomes obsessed with a girl's murder and actually takes really brave steps to find out what happened.
Her relationship with Flynt, a homeless street artist is sweet, however, I find the whole street artist homeless boy to be a cliche. If he is not an artist, then he would be a poet. I liked him, he brought Penelope out of her shell but I didn't feel attached to him in any way.
I actually didn't want to put this book down because it really is such an interesting read. It didn't really move me though, and the reason I gave it just over 3 stars?
A few reasons. The protagonist does something repeatedly every few paragraphs that really irritated me throughout the book. Yes, I know she has OCD but the action she does doesnt have to be repeated so much on every single page. Even more so from the middle onwards.
The ending was good, a bit predictable. However, it just seems like such an obvious coincidence that a certain thing happens at just the right time and place somehow.
This is definitely still worth a read and I will look out for more books by this author in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Butterfly Clues.