Antje's Reviews > Beloved

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Mar 04, 12

I read this about eight years ago at university and it really stuck with me. I read it again last month and I still think the story is fascinating. The whole idea of the dead daughter returning in some way or another (whether she is a ghost or really just a girl that has been held captive and escaped and Sethe and Denver are projecting Beloved on her / or both) appeals to me. I think that Toni Morrison deals with a subject that is universal (what does freedom mean?), that is entirely personal (to her as an African American writer/ to the characters as it is family drama) but also political (how to deal with Americas haunting past). But there is so much imagery and so many layers of meaning - the entire book sometimes feels more like a poem than a novel - that the reader often feels overwhelmed. There is the constant feeling that there is so much meaning just outside ones grasp. And that is exhausting and a bit frustrating. I think, however, that this is a book worthwhile putting effort and time in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beloved.