Dyah's Reviews > House

House by Frank E. Peretti

Aug 05, 14

bookshelves: dumpster, horror-and-ghost
Read in March, 2012 — I own a copy

The HOUSE is a twisted maze which reflects the darkness of the people who step foot on it.
It is full of madness.

I must say, I expect too much from this book and I find myself disappointed in the end. The main idea of the whole story is terrific, but the execution is not impressive; it lacks descriptions, which makes me feel detached from the story. The scenes jump from one to the next, creating confusion for the readers. One good point comes from the characterization. The authors explore the characters' background quite thoroughly and successfully present their distinctive traits.

My review doesnt really do this book justice, because the one thing that disappoints me the most about this book is the lousy translation. Seriously, I suspect the dark and mysterious atmosphere is lost during the translation process, leaving a lot of awkwardness scattered here and there. I find my mind automatically tries to translate the word/expression back to English whenever I encounter an awkwardness, and this truly disturbs my reading experience.

I gave 2 stars: one for the cover art and one for the idea of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House.